Today’s recipe comes from Chef Fran Walker and was put together for tasting by my very own sister. I sat this one out because we have allergies to apples and no one will eat raisins in my home except me, so I let my sister take the reins on taste testing and preparing.
Her family quite enjoyed the sweetness this dish had to offer and it is very easy to make once you get past the time-consuming chopping of the ingredients. For easier meal prep, we recommend skinless chicken breasts however any cut of meat will work. I feel this would also taste great with lean pork chops. Over all this dish got an A for taste so I am sharing with you. Best part is, it was naturally gluten-free so no substitutions had to be made, got to love that!
This pairs well with almost anything. Quinoa comes to mind for us but my sister enjoyed hers with homemade hash browns.
I love it when someone shares with me a tried and true good recipe.
Copyright secured by Digiprove © 2016
Chicken with Apples & Raisins by Chef Fran Walker
- 1 large onion
- 2 large carrots
- 2 medium apples
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5 pounds bone-in chicken pieces
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 (15-ounce) can low-sodium chicken broth
- ¾ cup raisins
- Optional Ingredients:
- ½ cup chopped nuts (such as walnuts, almonds, or pecans)
- ¼ cup fresh parsley and/or cilantro
- Peel and dice onion. Rinse, peel, and dice carrots. Rinse and dice apples.
- If using, chop nuts. Rinse and mince parsley or cilantro.
- In a small bowl, mix cinnamon, coriander, cumin, ¼ teaspoon salt, and pepper.
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Remove skin. If using whole chicken legs, separate the thigh and drumstick. If using bone-in chicken breasts, cut in half on the diagonal so pieces are almost even. Rub chicken pieces with spice mixture.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat 1 Tablespoon oil. Add onion, carrots, and apples. Cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to brown, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- Add remaining 1 Tablespoon oil to skillet. Brown chicken in 2 batches, 2-4 minutes per side. Return all chicken pieces to skillet and add broth. Bring to a simmer.
- Cook, turning occasionally, until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F, about 15-25 minutes depending on size of the pieces. Transfer cooked chicken to a clean plate.
- Add raisins, vegetable mixture, and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt to skillet. Bring to a simmer and cook until liquid is almost gone, 5-10 minutes more. Serve over cooked chicken. If using, top with nuts and herbs.
- Chef's Notes
- Serve with whole grain couscous or brown rice and a vegetable side dish. Try the Moroccan Carrot Salad or Sautéed Greens.
- Try using dried currants or apricots in place of raisins.
© 2022 Recipe property of www.glutenfreealaska.com