My daughter has made this a few times for me now and it’s a super yummy low carb soup. It’s delicious without all the guilt.
Low Carb Zuppa Toscana
- 16 oz Italian sausage (sweet, mild, or spicy)
- ½ lb of bacon, chopped
- Small onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 6-8 cups chicken broth
- 1 head of cauliflower, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Parmesan cheese, grated or shreds
- Brown bacon in a large pot or dutch oven.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Keep at least 3 tablespoons of bacon grease in the pan.
- Brown sausage in the same pot.
- Stir in chopped onion. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes or until the onion is translucent.
- Stir in minced garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Add chicken broth to the pot.
- Add cauliflower and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Continue cooking until the cauliflower is almost tender, about 5 minutes, do not overcook.
- Add the kale to the soup, and simmer for an additional 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the heavy cream and let heat through. Salt and pepper as needed
- Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese & crisp bacon pieces.