I love finding soup recipes in magazines; my problem is I can never follow the direction. They are either lacking on ingredients or lacking on the taste. After tweaking I usually find a recipe I really like, the shrimp soup for example. This turned out wonderful, but after serving it to the family paired with a grilled cheese (because you can’t eat a tomato based soup without a grilled cheese, just can’t be done) I was wishing I had not as this would have been a nice lunch for me all week long. Now I have to go to the store and buy all the ingredients again.
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- Pinch or two of red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups of water*
- 1 can creamed coconut milk
- 2 bouillon cubes, vegetable (or 4 if using small cubes)*
- 8oz tomato paste*
- 2 lbs. baby cocktail shrimp
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice (real lemon juice or juice your own)
- In a large soup pan put the olive oil, onion, pepper, garlic and sauté. Cook until the veggies are soft. Add all other ingredients except shrimp and let simmer adjusting seasoning to taste. Add in shrimp and cook until done about 3-5 minutes. Do not overcook or shrimp will get rubbery.
- *Instead of water you can replace with vegetable stock (I added water then didn’t like taste so added bouillon)
- *if you like chunks of tomato add 15 oz. crushed tomatoes instead of paste (I have a non-tomato chuck eater)
© 2021 Recipe property of www.glutenfreealaska.com
I will be making this again and again. Tomatoes and shrimp are two of my favorite things in soups. This time however the large pan will be all mine.