Does a Black Bean, chili grilled cheese sandwich sound tempting? It didn’t to me at first and watching it mixed up even more unappetizing but when I bit into it, my mouth savored the perfect balance of flavors and spices and richness that left me wanting to eat more and more and more! A definite menu item in our home from now on. The best part is my 17 year old daughter made this for me!
2 poblano peppers
1 (14oz) can of black beans
3 tablespoons mild salsa (or you can kick it up with hot)
1/8 tsp salt
3 scallions diced
1/2 cup shredded cheddar/jack cheese (use daiya cheese for Gf/DF/SF)
2 tablespoons greek low-fat plain yogurt (almond or coconut yogurt for GF/DF/SF)
Gluten free bread.
- Put the peppers in a microwave safe bowl, cover and cook for 3-4 minutes
- Open can of beans, pour into a medium bowl, add the salsa and salt. Mash the beans with a fork until they are somewhat pasty.
- In another bowl combine cheese, yogurt, scallions.
- Go back to the peppers and dice them up.
- Butter (earth balance gf/df/sf butter) two pieces of bread on one side with butter. Place butter side down and spread the bean mixture on one bread and the cheese mixture on the other and place some dice peppers on the beans then place the cheese bread on top. Then place in a fry pan and grill until golden brown.
- Repeat for each sandwich.
The flavors on this is totally divine, its savory, spicy, and I would have eaten 3 more had they not been so filling as well. I enjoy a meal every once in a while without meat. This was a definite treat that I enjoyed very much.