Before Celiac Disease when eating breakfast out, I would always opt for the french toast. Sometimes I was lucky enough to have the choice of a stuffed french toast. I absolutely loved it.
I gave my husband a chore of coming up with an orange stuffed french toast for my birthday. He not only accepted the challenge, he nailed it. Talk about a rich, sweet, fulfilling breakfast.
I just had to share with you.
GF Orange Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast.
(note, since we couldn’t find a bread thick enough to stuff we just sandwiched the filling between two pieces of bread.)
- 16 slices Gluten Free Bread (we used Franz)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup orange marmalade depending on how sweet you want it
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat griddle
- Mix cream cheese and marmalade together.
- Whisk eggs, milk, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and nutmeg together in a shallow dish.
- Put the cream cheese mixture between two pieces of bread just like you are making a sandwich.
- Dip your cream cheese sandwich into egg mixture, thoroughly coating it.
- Place on the griddle.Cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side.
- Repeat procedure until ingredients are gone.
- Serve with pure maple syrup, butter and a fresh orange slice.