My third grandchild decided he was going to outdo his brothers and kick it up a notch with his food allergies. We are no strangers to food allergies in our home but corn and egg were something we didn’t have to worry about before. My daughter set out to find a good recipe that she could eat that wouldn’t bother the little one and after many many tries finally mastered a delicious allergy free cake.
Our first grandchild was turning 4 and he had a construction themed party with a cake that was super duper yummy.
Delicious Allergy Friendly Chocolate Cake
Gluten, soy, corn, dairy, nut, peanut, and egg free
1 cup canned coconut milk (or milk of choice)
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
2 cups gluten free 1 to 1 flour (corn free blend below or you favorite flour)
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder (corn free recipe below)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup canola oil
2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce (or two gogo squeez applesauce pouches for the lazy)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract (corn free brand here)
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup sweet white rice flour
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup potato starch
1/4 cup sorghum flour
1/4 cup tapioca flour (starch)
1 teaspoon xanthan gum (corn free brand here)
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon tapioca flour (starch)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two 9-inch cake pans and line the bottom with parchment rounds.
2. Combine milk and vinegar. Stir slightly and set aside to curdle.
3. In a large bowl, add the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk well to combine.
4. Next add the oil, applesauce, vanilla and milk/vinegar mixture. Mix on medium speed with a hand mixer or stand mixer with the paddle attachment until well combined.
5. Lower the speed and carefully pour in the boiling water, continuing to mix into the cake batter until combined. The batter may seem runny but it’s okay!
6. the batter evenly between your cake pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. After 10 minutes of cooling in the pan, carefully remove the cakes from the pans and let cool completely before frosting.
1 cup canned coconut cream
8oz chocolate chips or chopped chocolate (enjoy life for those with allergies)
- Measure out 1 cup of the solid coconut cream and place in a microwave safe bowl. A little bit of the liquid part is okay if you don’t have quite enough thick cream in your can. .
- In a separate bowl measure out 8oz of chocolate.
- Microwave cream for 1 minute.
- Pour cream over chocolate and let sit for 2-3 minutes.
- Whisk until smooth. You can pour it over a cake while warm or let it cool to a spreadable consistency.